Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Build a niche store: Taking the plunge.

OK. Lets recap. We want to see if The BANS software, Build a niche store is still a viable avenue. Of  course the worse case scenario is that I learn something. The best case senarion is that I will learn something and make money. There is an old saying "you cant take a loss if you are taking a profit.".
  If it costs 5 bucks a month for the hosting and 2 bucks a month for the domain and your "store" makes 30 bucks in sales then you clear 23 dollars a month. You could do a lot more then that.
 The other side of the coin is to set up several stores and then create a blog that points to them. Then promote the blog.  What ever the reason..I took the plunge today.
  Yup. Picked out a Domain and pointed it to my hosting site. Next I loaded the BANS store script onto the server. Whew. Enter Godaddy my host. Alright I know I'm supposed to use Godaddy for Domains and Host Gator for,..well hosting. The instructions included in the Build a niche store software are primarily geared to Host Gator.
 Actually in Hind site, setting up the script is easier on GoDaddy but because the instructions favor Host Gator it is a little terse. So when I finally got to Change the Chmod of the cont.php file I discovered I needed a ftp program to make the changes. Host Daddy lets you transfer files with your browser. This is great. But I can't change permissions with FireFox. So I opted for a free program called Filezilla. It worked really well once I got past set up. Whew, learning things already.
 I needed to call GoDaddy support to get my domain to point to the right folder. Let me say this,, The person I talked to was awsome. Very helpful. Very positive. He stuck with me as if I was the only customer he talked to that day.
  So I logged into the administration page and low and behold,  my site was waiting for me! I got it right the first shot! Either I'm getting smarter or this software is easier,( I'm not smarter).

 Now I get to build my store in reality. And then promote it. So stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment